Monday, July 7, 2008

Thing 14 - ("quattuordecim" - LATIN)

Librarything.com was cool. I can see how I can create a library for students and parents and post this on my website for people to access. Students creating their own login and libraries would be great. It is so easy to setup an account, I can see this happening next year.

I added some popular books to my library (i.e. Harry Potter series). There were some conversations that I read. I think elementary students might actually enjoy this feature. I am unsure if my students could start this right away, but later in the year would be a sweet opportunity for them to look at chapter books in a different way. The different way being instead of reading a chapter book, doing a book report, or just doing it for personal enjoyment, the student could place that book in their own library, see who else did or did not enjoy the book, add comments on their books, and create a library they can share with others. I am sure there is more that I missed, but the more I use the site the more I am sure I will learn.

I did place a randomizer of my library on my blog. Check it out!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My son just finished 4th grade. I wish he had you for a teacher! Great ideas!

Jon Zetah said...

Thank you for the compliment. Although, we do ask students to donate two boxes of Kleenex at the beginning of the year. I ask for three. I make students cry all of the time. I usually go for personally shots. (smile)

*does sarcasm come across on the screen?