Monday, July 14, 2008

Thing 18 - ("achttien" - DUTCH)



I have used YouTube many times before this. So, I decided to go try Google Video. It is quite similar. It does link to other sites like Shout if a video was taken from that site. It is too bad these files are so large for some school district servers. To my knowledge, I know teachers have access to YouTube in our school district. I used it before for some background content for students (great for Science and Social Studies). I am unsure if students have access. I will have to check if Google Video is available to teachers or not.

The video I selected is Demetri Martin (found on Google Video and then linked to Shoutfile). He is a comedian that I found online searching for comedians last year. I found his name when I searched for comedians. I then went to YouTube to see if there was any footage. He cracked me up and still does! I recognized him from the Daily Show when he had a recurring role on there a few years back. After laughing and enjoying his clips, I decided to see if he was still doing standup. I found him doing a show down in Missouri at Truman State University in Kirksville. So, my girlfriend and I decided to do a sudden road trip to go see him live. It was well worth the trip. The college theater was jammed packed with a great audience. It was the best standup show I've ever seen. My friends and colleagues laughed at me for driving over ten hours round trip to go see a comedian. I just smiled. Spending time with my girlfriend is always worth it. Laughing together for almost two hours with Demetri Martin will never be forgotten. This is all thanks to a search tool, YouTube, and contacting the college through email about how to get tickets.

No comments: