Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thing 23 - ("twenty-three" - ENGLISH)

My word: USEFUL

I was actually taken back at first when I found out it was intended just for librarians. I thought to myself, "What did I get into?" Then, after doing a few of the things, I felt a whole lot better. I had to think about libraries. Why were they created? How do we use them? In this time of change from recent changes, libraries do need to evolve quickly. As a teacher, schools need to evolve just as quick. If Web 2.0 directly impacts how information is gathered, created, and shared, then preparing students for that future is a must.

23 Things On a Stick not only lifted some of the fog from Web 2.0 for this individual, but it made my technology skills useful again. My abilities with using the internet and other applications have evolved because of the activities I did here. My knowledge and comfort level are back like it was three years ago when talking about "what's new" on the Web. When that unpredictable day of change occurred, the day where my knowledge was now considered the old way, I became stunted. Not understanding or the fear that comes from that is no longer the anti-motivator, but has become the exact reason my commitment is stronger than ever.

I truly enjoyed the things where I got to immediately use the applications available on other sites. Be it with editors or creating files to share, the direct usefulness was valuable to my learning. I also liked being connected out there. Receiving a message from a librarian I have never met was cool. Then, contacting and being contacted in the social networks was a fun experience that I will continue. Sharing picture files and making them available for all was a first for me. Even playing online games connected me real people out there that I would have never met and probably will not ever meet in person, but we met. That's cool.

Thank you for the experience and having me be pushed by your objectives and outcomes to try out some new things that I avoided or did not even know about.


Get a Voki now!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jon,
Congratulations! It was a pleasure getting to know you and learn along with you!
You definitely went above and beyond. I look forward to seeing what you incorporate out of this with students!