Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Thing 2 ("zwei" - GERMAN)


After watching the video interview of Stephen Abram, my initial feeling was "Man, I am old." Then, remembering his words about having an excitement for learning...that made sense to me and washed away my reaction. It does come down to me just learning. Taking time to do that will not be much of a challenge. Not because I have no life, but because I feel it is that important. I am online routinely to check my email, weather, and news. During those times I will just purposely add some time to complete one of the "things" (like I am doing now). This experience of 23 Things On a Stick will hopefully propel me into the world I feel a little disconnected to. I have always been known as pretty savoy with technology. Although that consideration is only coming from my peers, who are often not that up on things. I am looking forward to growing a comfort level with the Web 2.0 tools and anything else that falls into my laptop.

In my third grade classroom I have tried to incorporate as much technology into the students' experiences that is appropriate. We have not only used, but the students became proficient in the following: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Think.com (blogging), Voki.com (messaging), uploading digital images, and using a variety of websites. This year, including the blogging experience was incredible to be a witness to and to be a part of it. Our school district provided training on blogging and I came about Think.com through discussions with colleagues there. After being shown the ropes I was the only teacher using blogging in my school building (around the elementary schools in our school district it was spreading fast). I shared and shared with my school building and the entire fourth grade decided to join Think.com as well. I look forward to taking whatever I can learn here back to my classroom and school building.

photo by maiks72 on flickr.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jon,
Sounds like your kids had a great experience this year! Do you think that the 4th grade staff will continue with Think.com? How about other 3rd grade colleagues?

Jon Zetah said...

Yes, the fourth grade team does plan on using Think.com this upcoming year. One teacher moved up to fifth grade, so that means it will be used up there at least with one class. We are meeting during workshop week to have a better plan on how to use blogging with the students better. We all felt like we could have had aimed towards more academics. I will use Will Richardson's book Blogs, Wikis, and Podcasts as resource (I read it last year).

My team, well, we'll see. I have pitched it many times and offered assistance. "To each their own" is something I like to keep in mind. Just because I am doing it doesn't mean they should be doing it. Patience may payoff when it comes to Blogging. Having me, all of fourth grade, and now one fifth grade class is a great second year start.