Sunday, June 15, 2008

Thing 8 ("ewalu" - HAWAIIAN)


Thing 8 for 23 Things from Jon


From: JonZetah, 3 minutes ago








SlideShare Link



Wow, Thing 8 had a lot of things to look at! Almost too much to absorb it all. I will comment on each thing I looked at, and I will point out the things I created on this blog.

Create and Share Slideshows - Thumbstacks and ZoHo Show did not work very well with my Apple computer. The websites' applications seemed compatible with PC formatted browsers or maybe something more was needed on my computer. I tried, but to no prevail could not get the websites working. I did read the what the sites had and they did seem pretty comparable to the ones I could use. Slide was okay. Nothing special, in my opinion. I spent most of my time with Slideshow because it had the most flexibility with what the final product would look like. The other sites had features and effects, but not comparable to what Microsoft PowerPoint has. My finished product is with this post. I noticed that most of these sites allow you to immediately post it on another site with the given permissions. That is slick. So, what I could take from this part was that you could share a slideshow in a simple view format instead of sharing the entire file. You do lose the animations with slideshow, but it gives you a close enough product. Would I use this? Maybe. If I wanted to use a slideshow, I would like the slideshow to be impressive and an enhancement to my presentation. No, just a little video on a website. Although, if I wanted a slideshow on my website, these are quite useful.

Share Your Photos - Picture Trail was sweet. It is a great way to share your photos. I added the product I created at the bottom of my blog using the images I used for this blog. I could see me using this in my professional life (teacher webpage) and in my personal life (personal blog or website). This was a highlight of Thing 8.

Databases - I could not get this one going on Lazybase. I thought it would generate a database based on the information I entered. I tried about 10 times and only got a blank database where I could located items one at a time and enter them into my new database. That would be a pain! I will try again. If you have any suggestions for me, please post a comment. I could be doing it wrong.

It's All About eFolio Minnesota - I read through this, but I did not take the time to complete a eFolio (already spent over 3 hours just on Thing 8). I do not think I would use this. I could see how this is a resourceful tool to offer to people. eFolios also seem like the next step away from the PowerPoint electronic portfolios that started a few years back. Possibly, when I have more time, I will come back to this part of Thing 8.

No comments: