Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thing 9 ("tisa" - SWAHILI)

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more
Well, Thing 9 seems to require permission (Google Docs) to edit the Declaration of Independence. I requested a little while ago and again today. To me, it looks like I can interact immediately on the screen with the posted document after having permission. That is quite cool. I can see how group writing projects in my classroom can be done from the home of the student. Partner writes and even editing partners could use this tool. Its application seems easy enough. What I still have to deal with are appropriateness in edits and students not doing too much work for another student. 8 and 9 year olds sit on a huge spectrum of how they react to criticism. So, the challenge for me isn't necessarily using this tool in the classroom. Anyone can do that. The challenge will be to use this tool to add to their learning without it being a negative influence for the students I work with.

The second part of Thing 9 has us working with Zoho Writer. In order to interact with the link, you needed to email the given address and wait for permission. I haven't received a reply as of the date of this post. My assumption is that this tool offers the same function as Google Docs, but has an added feature of being able to add posts at the bottom of the page for comments. Again, I can see how this tool can be used in the classroom. It actually works like a Wiki, but it is in a form of a document.

I will add another post or update this post once I receive the proper permissions.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jon,
Given the 3 hours you spent on thing 8, if you want a pass on Thing 9, that's fine by me!
Of course if you really want to see if it passes mustard, by all means, check it out!

Jon Zetah said...

Maybe complaining and whining works (smile). Today (after I posted), I received access and will go play!!

Hey, I just sent an email that I Cced to you. I am not on the Metronet Blogs. Remember I got a little frustrated with my login on Google and then I was catching up. I might have registered incorrectly.

Should I be worried?