Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Thing 5 ("cinq" - FRENCH)




I can see how I can use these mashups in the classroom. Creating a magazine cover for students' accomplishments or for a student news press would impress the students and parents. Having them create their own would just emphasize the power of ownership. The motivational poster mashup would not only allow me to make it more specific to my school building and classroom, but I could include student images in those posters (not for public viewing) and print those out. This was a photo I took during the year. I believe I could even download them into a digital picture viewer (that would be cool). These mashups add even more potential to the applications in an elementary classroom. I will need to take more time to discover and play.

The mashup Big Huge Labs allowed me to instantly upload to my flickr.com account. After making the magazine cover, I realized that if I did this, it would be public. I knew I could go change the setting to private, but it would still be on my flickr.com account. I didn't want this. So, I saved it to my computer. Posting it on my Blog for all to see just doesn't feel the same as having it on my flickr. com account even in the private setting. This is again my digital immigrant side coming up. I believe I have the understanding, but I have no natural comfort zone for some concepts (photo sharing).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jon,
Good stuff! I struggle with the Public/Private aspect for my own stuff too. I try to keep images of my kids private, and anything else that doesn't have recognizable faces in it public. It is a bit of a rush on Flickr when someone adds a photo of yours to their favorites.
As far as natives vs. immigrants, Michael Wesch, a cultural anthropologist from Kansas says that we're all immigrants!

Jon Zetah said...

Thank you for the link. I remember seeing something like that at workshop week this past year. I can see how we are all immigrants. I am proud to be one. I admit technology has grown beyond my knowledge, and I can see how everyone might fit into that category. I think being self-aware is a first step. I found But First We Communicate? and read some parts of it. The idea of understanding who you are leads to better communication is so true, in my opinion. 23 Things On a Stick is finally helping me know who I am when it comes to Web 2.0.

Unknown said...

Jon,
I'm glad you're enjoying this!
Keep up the great work!